Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 06:02:49PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Where in the GPL does it say "You can't run this software on a proprietary
> OS."?

Who said that here? Please pay attention a bit. We are talking about
_naming_ stuff, not _running_ it, OK?

> How so. Which piece of the GNU system is missing? The Linux kernel is not
> GNU software, even though it has been released under the GPL, is it?

That's why it's called GNU/Linux, as an exception.

> So, glibc on a Sun kernel becomes a non-free software?

Last time I checked, libc6 was under the LGPL (for exactly that reason?)

> If every piece of software in the distro is free then the distro is free.
> Not delivering a kernel that is free has no effect on the freeness of the
> other components.

It is called 'contrib', if it depends on non-free software (yeah, run it
under wine, yada, yada)

> > If you want to take a bunch of Debian packages and port them to

> > 2) Don't call it Debian.
>
> Under what logic? It's build by DDs

You might want to prove that first.

> out of Debian distributed free software. What part fails to be Debian?

Just like CorelLinux, several Embedded projects, etc.

> > 3) Don't use Debian resources for the effort.
>
> Why not? We use Debian resources for explicity non-free software, and this
> isn't that.

non-free is about packages, not ports, AFAICT.

> So far I haven't heard a good argument from you against this, except that
> you don't like it on some moral principle that I don't agree with.

So, go forth and propose a [enter next thing to do in Debian
voting-system]

cheers,

Michael