Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:47:52PM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 17:37, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   We also don't use our resources to compile and distribute binary
> > packages for Solaris, or put our name behind an effort to do so.  Why
> > should we do anything different for Windows?

> Has anybody ever actually made the effort to set up a
> Solaris/[insert-non-free-OS] port? If not, this isn't a particularly
> good argument.

Then perhaps the text that sits at the top of the Debian homepage would
be persuasive:

  What is Debian?

  Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating
  system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your
  computer run. Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating
  system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project;
  hence the name GNU/Linux.

Any extension of the Debian trademark to cover a port of GNU software to
a Win32 platform would be at odds with this definition of what `Debian'
is.  Changing the scope of the Debian project in this manner would
require a pretty clear consensus from the developers.

Obviously this wording will need to be changed anyway when the Debian
Hurd port comes to term, but that still falls under the scope of a "free
operating system".

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer