Re: Fwd: Unseen debian maintainers (fwd)

On Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:58, Tran Nam Binh wrote:
> Hackers have put my user id into some redistributing
> list of your technical forum.

Hi Tran,

Firstly the good news: Unsubscribing should be very easy.  Go to any
message you're getting on the list and search for a 'view all headers' option
in the menu.  In my mail client it is in the view menu but it might be
somewhere else in yours.  Once you have this you should see lines something
like:

for <lakeland@cs.otago.ac.nz>; Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:04:27 +1300 (NZDT)

The one you're looking for is the very last "for <....>" line, just before
the Resent-Date.  This is the email address that was used to subscribe you.

lists you think you might be subscribed to.  I know you're subscribed to
debian-devel since that is where you posted.  It doesn't matter if you check
too many so you could be safe and just check them all.  At the bottom enter
the email address you found out above and click on unsubscribe.

Now for the bad news:

We used to have a number of problems with people subscribing other people to
these lists, so we instituted a policy of only subscribing people who confirm
their subscriptions.

That means either someone is reading your email and confirmed the
subscription, or else someone created a dummy email account, probably with
yahoo or hotmail, and is forwarding all of its email to you.

Personally I suspect it is the latter.  Even if you run Microsoft Windows and
use a cable modem it is still a little work to break into your system to read
your mail.  It seems unlikely a cracker would bother with this if they're
going to do something as benign as subscribing you to our mailing list.  More
likely they'd use your system for illegal cracking of bank accounts, or the
machines of people they don't like, so it gets traced back to you.

So someone has created a dummy email address and set it to forward all mail
to you.  That means even if you unsubscribe yourself there is nothing we can
do to stop the person resubscribing you.  You could try contacting the
postmaster at wherever the forwarder comes from, probably yahoo or hotmail,
but these places are very big and generally won't do anything unless you have
exact details,times,messages,etc.  There is nothing we can do either, since
the person can create any account name they want and subscribe it to the list.

Best of Luck,

Corrin