Re: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Please consider that RMS created the LGPL specificly to allow glibc to be
> installed on, and used by, non-free OS's like Sun. The whole purpose was
> to allow more free software to be run on these machines.

No, the whole purpose (I was around and involved with the creation of
the LGPL) was to encourage more people to help develop the library
by weakening principles.  The attempt failed: there was no notable set
of people who started to help work on the library because the
principles were weakened; hence, the LGPL was deemed a failure.

> This implies that RMS _is_ in favor of having free software run on a
> non-free OS. (Although he is perfectly able to act in an inconsistant
> fashion.)

Not for its own sake, but only as a way to work towards a totally-free
OS--a goal which has now been achieved.