Re: X autoconfiguration

On Sun, 2001-12-02 at 01:34, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:21:51AM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > Hmm, if Debian does get its own such auto-config, it needs to have
> > attention put into laptop and related issues.  For example, There should
> > always be a second mouse device that is USB if the machine supports
> > USB... so that USB users can just plug in a mouse in addition to the
> > built-in mouse (which is usually PS/2 on laptops).
>
> Gosh, sounds exactly like the way the XFree86 4.x packages actually
> work...

Really?  failed to do so on my laptop.  I had to manually add the
configurations.  How do the packages go about deciding to add a second
mouse config?

> > Also, things like being able to select a brand/model of keyboard and
> > load a correct xmodmap file so that "hot keys" and so on work correctly.
>
> It's more complicated than that, but work is proceeding in this area as
> well.

Yes, I understand.  It's just one of the more annoying driver issues in
Linux.  You know, not the "big huge important unsupported hardware"
issue, but just one of the "little annoying should just work" issues.
I've seen a couple project try to tackle this, but they never work
together, don't offer an easy method of selecting keyboard brand/model,
and only offer like 2 or 3 keyboard setups a piece.