Re: I hear you...

Bernhard R. Link (blink@informatik.uni-freiburg.de) said:
> The point is, that this is no good idea. Read the mailing list archives.
> It was discussed that often. Having scripts to parse is ugly, slow and
> tends to generate errors.

Scripts to parse what?

LSB specifies functions which are used for outputting status
information, how it is displayed is entirely up to the functions being
used.

The functions provide a useful abstraction so that all output of the
init scripts is uniform and easily customizable.

This would allow for different sets of functions (themes). A theme could
provide something that looks like RedHat's startup, or just echo stuff
to the screen haphazardly (as it is currently done). A neat application
IMO would be having those functions append the output to a logfile as
well as to the screen.

> If someone want sane result-values from init.d-scripts and put an
> package with priority optional or extra causing the generation of
> colorfull or even graphic, I have nothing against this.

This could be done with themes for the init functions. Nothing says that
if functions are defined that you will _have_ to use fruity colors.

Please see
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.0.0/gLSB/iniscrptfunc.html
and stop thinking "RedHat Colors Bad" before you make write another
knee-jerk reaction reply.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey