Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

"Karl M. Hegbloom" wrote:
>  Just letting you know that I read your changelog (apt-listchanges)
>  and agree that logcheck ought to be developed further and made
>  standard.  Like debconfiscation, I think that a dedicated team of
>  maintainers should start working on NMU patches for all of the stuff
>  that does not yet support it but should.  (that NMU policy I found
>  via Debian Weekly News is good; please make it official policy.)
I would really like to see that happen. Any volunteers ? Currently I do
not have the time to do the NMUs on other packages myself. I will find
time to include needed features in logcheck although (some way... :-) ).

>  logrotate also comes to mind, as does the init.d/rc.d situation...
The problem with logcheck <-> logrotate *should* hopefully be fixed with
the new version. Please tell me if there are any problems left.

>  Red Hat has a tool called ... uh; what do they call that?  I've never
>  used it, but have heard of it; it's something like our
>  "update-rc.d"...  I really would like to see a dependancy based
>  init.d setup that works something along the lines of the description
>  I read of the main menu code for the new "debian-installer".
A dependency-based init script is already available, please look at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/boot-scripts/
It could simplify the init process, maybe with the introduction of
virtual init script names (as we have virtual package names) for the
need command. Currently I am using file-rc, but it is still too complex
for most uses.

best regards,
Rene