Re: automake fun

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:22:34PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
>
> > 4) AM_MAINTAINER_MODE
>
> This would require both upstream changes (adding AM_MAINTAINER_MODE to
> configure.in), and debian/rules changes (passing
> --disable-maintainer-mode) to "configure".  I suppose it is the best
> solution, but the fact that it requires upstream changes means one can't
> implement it in a NMU.

You're half right; --disable-maintainer-mode is the default, and
--enable-maintainer-mode is necessary to enable these rules when desired.

`AM_MAINTAINER_MODE'
     This macro adds a `--enable-maintainer-mode' option to
     `configure'.  If this is used, `automake' will cause
     `maintainer-only' rules to be turned off by default in the
     generated `Makefile.in's.  This macro is disallowed in `Gnits'
     mode (*note Gnits::).  This macro defines the `MAINTAINER_MODE'
     conditional, which you can use in your own `Makefile.am'.

This is my preferred solution, as the changes are minimal (a single line)
and don't require any ugly hacks: the problem is fixed at a fundamental
level, omitting the unwanted rules.

Where is it written that upstream changes are forbidden in NMUs?  The
Developer's Reference 7.1 suggests otherwise:

--
 - mdz