Re: apt-update via patches

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:52:36AM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > I still think it would do wonders for the problems of a single typo
> > in an otherwise flawless package resulting in a pile of new uploads.
> Except the mirroring overhead to do this for the 13 or so architectures that
> Debian supports will be horrendous....
Depending on the amount of diffs you keep around it would be enormous, yes.
A lot of fiddling may be necessary to work out how much to keep around, and
I would guess setting a figure like "50% of package size" would be the
best approach. Another possibility is that we configure the system to
only build diffs on certain packages where it was worthwhile (e.g. X, emacs
etc)
Anyway if it were done it would be done in some way that would allow
mirrors to skip it easily. e.g. have /debian/binpatches/ (mirroring the
structure of pool) which mirrors could exclude. Or something.
I would guess that even if only a few mirrors actually took the patches
too it would still make a workable solution.

Cheers,
Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+