Re: apt-update via patches

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:07:59PM +0100, Dominik Kubla wrote:
> Now we only need somebody to write some code to use xdeltas to update
> packages in the cache...
I'm working on it actually. I started it before the Packages stuff but
decided it would be less easy to do without some support -- maintaining
effectively the entire mirror in patch format in public_html on auric
might upset people ;)

> Especially large packages could do well with this, since in most
> cases the differences of the packages are minimal unless there is a
> new upstream release. That would make updating feasible over modem
> lines even for those who are not blessed with a flat rate...
My experiments so far have shown moderately good results on versions
that are similar but it rapidly becomes pointless if e.g. ./configure
has been rerun against different conditions.
I still think it would do wonders for the problems of a single typo
in an otherwise flawless package resulting in a pile of new uploads.

Ben

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+
  ///      email: bjb@deus.net            www: http://www.deus.net/~bjb/