Re: Recommendations on Linux C/C++/Java IDE?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:46:47PM +0000, joe golden wrote:
| Any recommendations for a good Integrated Devevlopment Environment?
|
| My brother has used MS Developer Studio and likes working with it.
|
| I'm encouraging him to make the switch to Linux.  We've looked at code
| warrior, code crusader, anjuta, code forge, kdevelop and code medic and
| others.  He is willing to pay $ for good tools.

One main difference between windows and unix (others have observed
this too) :
    Windows is a user OS, and as such extra tools are required to do
    development.

    Unix was first designed a developer OS (and still is, though it is
    well suited to other tasks), and as such the OS _is_ the IDE.

I like to use gvim for the editing portion of development.  I use
ctags, make, cvs, find, grep, diff, and various other utilities to
work with the source files.  There are more file utilities than I am
proficient with.  I also use whatever compiler or interpreter is
appropriate for the language being used.  Eg gcc, g++, javac/java,
python, bash, etc.  For debugging I tend to use the 'print' technique,
though for C/C++ gdb is _the_ debugger.  (there may be others, but gdb
is kinda a standard)  There are GUI frontends to gdb such as GVD and
DDD that I use when I need to.  I'm not aware of any good debuggers
for java or python, but as I said, "print" is quite cross-language and
cross-platform.

I would encourage him to practice with the standard shell and file
utilities and become acquainted with their power and flexibility.  He
can even start by using cygwin alongside of his MS Dev Studio.  If he
is to use any Unix system, then familiarity with the basic utilities
will be very valuable even if he doesn't use them for development.

HTH,
-D