Re: Processed: severity

hi,

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:53:05PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > hey, nobody said it's the most important, ok, at least not to me who
> > came up with this once again. but i want it to be considered before woody
> > is released.
> No, by making it release-critical you are saying it MUST be fixed before
> woody is released.  If you don't know that much about what release-critical
> means, then you shouldn't be messing with severities.

yeah, and in the endeffect it's the only way when you don't know
one that well to be sure he considers it or not. he is free to
downgrade it again to important and tell me "hey, i'll look at it
before base freezes" or somesuch. and not treating it as if it is
a bare wishlist (hi aj!) thingy.
people are more upset about ethan than about me. anyway, the fact
is that it's bad practice and that it should be fixed wrt user
convenience. and that my patch didn't work is because debconf
messes with file descriptors, which i just didn't know.
it's not mentioned in the tutorial and i sent the patch before i read
confmodule, so ... but there are probably other, uglier,
solutions to it, but i don't want to repeat myself, read
debian-boot :p.

so long
Othmar