Re: Look at the copyright before changing upstream sources

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 04:12:17PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is just a little a little remainder for everyone:
>
> Look at the copyright before you change the upstream sources of a package
> - if you are the maintainer and even more if you are doing a NMU:
>
> 2. Packages in main
> The DFSG say that you must be allowed to make derived works. But the DFSG
> also state that "The license may require derived works to carry a
> different name". If you change the upstream source of such a program
> (e.g. AbiWord, TeX, Metafont) without changing the name it's a clear
> violation of the license.

apache (the original) is currently in violation of this:
daniel@piro:~/kde3/kdelibs% cat /usr/share/doc/apache/copyright
[...]
 * 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
 *    nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
 *    permission of the Apache Group.
[...]

Check for yourself, there are other clauses that prevent this. I've told
netgod about it, but nothing's happened. So, Debian's "apache" is
illegal.

You may want to bear this in mind.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<calc> i have a fucked up question to ask... do rubber bands melt at room