Re: Modifying httpd.conf by post(inst|removal) scripts

> Apache needs to read config file snippets from a directory, like so many other
> daemons.  Perhaps an IncludeDir option.

Exactly.
I'm using this with a small hack on my system here already:
I have a directory for additional config files - mostly virtual hosts -
and a shell script updating an "includes.conf" file, which is then
included into my main apache config file.
So the apache config file does not need to be changed; includes.conf is
never edited by hand but by the script only.
It's an old apache though (well, potato it is ;), maybe there is an
option like this in newer apache versions, i do not know.

Some kind of sequence numbers were good, like in /etc/rcX.d/

Greetings,
Erich