Re: The Second Great Spelling Check (Re: Package descriptions and making them better)

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 04:58:44PM -0800, Rick Younie wrote:
>>
>> combobox and listbox are the proper names of the Tk widgets so
>> this would appear to be correct usage.  I'll listen to arguments
>> but you'll have a lot of doc and FAQ authors to convince as well.
>
> If it did't appear in any dictionary or wordlist (even a technical one), and
> could be expressed with precisely the same meaning using existing words, I
> split it.  "combo box" and "list box" fit those criteria.  Just because the
> API calls happen to be combined into single words (as is often the case, due
> to the nature of identifiers in C and other languages), this doesn't mean
> that your description must use those same abbreviations.

Well, "list box" describes it because it is a box containing a
list but that's just coincidence.  It could be called a "fredbox
widget" just as well.  I don't have a good argument for you;
maybe the guys in comp.lang.tcl do.  We're talking different
things here.  You're talking about what it does; I'm talking
about its name, what it's called.

I expect the package will be dragging along a wishlist bug, as
long as I maintain it anyway.

>> I hate this kind of crap.

BTW, I think this is a great idea.  It really spruces up Debian.
What I hate is working on sentence construction problems.  It
makes my head hurt.

Rick