Re: Software that can't be packaged

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:01:18PM -0500, mdanish@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> On http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/info.html near the bottom of the page
> it states:
>
> "MPlayer is basicly GPL, but contains some non-GPL code which not allowed to
> be distributed in binary form, and also contains the opendivx library which
> has special license."
There is a background behing this message, especially the clause 'contains non-GPL code which not
allowed to be distributed in binary form' - main developer decided to change
one crucial part's licence to one that states that it's not allowed to distribute binaries.
 The reason was people putting private packages and distributing them, thus
affecting mplayer's fame in a bad way .. blah blah blah, that's not the point.
AFAIK this idea is not true anymore, but there are pieces of opendivx here and there
- the only postprocessing used to be of opendivx, but then people came and created GPL
postprocessing, 3dnow/mmx etc optimized much faster then odivx, but not yet feature complete
- some ways of deblocking were not yet implemented yet, i don't know the details.

What I am trying to say here is that things are changing, and it would be VERY
helpfull if messages saying 'issues' would be more specific, so one could know/check
when those become non-issues, or maybe ask developers to fix those.

So if there are issues, please, please leave a note what exactly they are.

regards, Eyck