Install horde in unstable using postgresql

Try as I might, I cant get horde to be installed successfully with
Postgres as the database engine after upgrading to unstable.

The first problem is that it can't get a connection to the postscript
database engine. Postgres log shows

Peer authentication failed for user 'postgres'
Peer authentication failed for user 'postgres'

during configure and the postinst script gives
-----------snip-----------
pgsql extension for php3 found.
Include of /etc/horde/apache.conf found in apache config files.
index.php settings in /etc/apache-ssl/srm.conf found!
index.php3 settings in /etc/apache-ssl/srm.conf found!
Error when trying to connect to the pgsql database.
This error can occur if you have no database to connect to, or
if the password was incorrect.
use: dpkg-reconfigure -plow packagename to reconfigure.
Error when trying to connect to the pgsql database.
This error can occur if you have no database to connect to, or
if the password was incorrect.
use: dpkg-reconfigure -plow packagename to reconfigure.
-----------snip-----------

here is the output of debconf-show:
# debconf-show horde
  horde/dbadmpass: (password omitted)
* horde/database_name: horde
* horde/welcome:
* horde/webserver_type: Apache-SSL
* horde/database_user: hordemgr
* horde/databasemgr_server: localhost
  horde/dbmyadmin: root
* horde/databasemgr_type: PostgreSQL
* horde/database_pass: (password omitted)
  horde/dbpgadmin: postgres

After adding the line

horde      root     postgres

to /etc/postgres/pg_ident.conf

and the lines

local        horde                                         peer     horde
local        template1                                     peer     horde

to /etc/postgres/pg_hba.conf

the horde postinst script ran ok but when I access the imp page I get