Re: Has a Debian developer ever unintentionally wiped out user files like Apple?

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 12:12:07PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> _This_ is the real point. Macintosh Users notoriously use spaces in
> their file names. It is part of their OS culture. UNIX users know
> about the trouble and avoid spaces in file names, unless we are
> talking MP3 archives here.

Not true..., UNIX users do know about the trouble associated
with buggy programs not able to handle spaces in filenames,
and so they try to make their programs work correctly.

I am a UNIX person (administrator, programmer, etc...), and I
commonly use spaces in filenames.  I make sure that all of my
programs can handle spaces correctly.  And I file bug reports
on all programs I find that can't.

Though I've never been hit personally by a bug with filenames
with spaces (on a debian (un)install script), I've personally
been hit by a ';' in a string that the postinst script didn't
propperly escape (database password field of horde/imp which
may have been fixed by now, simple fix anyway).

  -Ralph