Re: rproxy (Re: WOW! Re: Rsync on servers)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 03:13:22PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> > On 11 Nov 2001, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> >
> > > [snip]

> > Where is this client?  Offloading the cpu usage to the client is a
> > huge win.  Also, not requiring a special daemon on the server is
> > another plus.

I moved it to the top of my TODO list for packaging, right after bochs
wich is practically just waiting for a signature for upload.

> Package: rproxy
> Section: web
> Installed-Size: 184
> Maintainer: Anand Kumria <wildfire@progsoc.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Version: 0.5.7-4
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.97)
> Filename: dists/woody/main/binary-i386/web/rproxy_0.5.7-4.deb
> Size: 40576
> MD5sum: 69f46366a65e65e4515b389081fbe50f
>  rproxy stores hashed values of retrieved pages and when you next
>  access the same page it computes the difference between the
>  current page and the recently stored page.

Thats something completly different. It needs protocoll support so you
need a special server and special client for it to work, or two
rpoxies inbetween you and the server.

> Note that the checksums are transmitted along with the request, so they are
> first computed by the client.

Sounds like the server has to do all the work.

My http-rsync fetches the checksums in a seperate request and then
fetches blocks of the files via RANGE statements in the http request.

May the Source be with you.
                        Goswin