Re: Can't reach Wichert from mail.polaris.net

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:09:35AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Adam Heath wrote:
> > So, 2 questions.  Dale, which exact error was it?  And, Wichert, if the
> > question is the latter, why are you bouncing it?
>
> It's some exim setting I haven't been able to turn off for some reason.
> I also like the fact that it does stop a nice amount of spam.

    It also stops any mail coming from an area of the net suffering
any transient DNS failure, IPV6 or no.  I tested this setting
(deliberately) for a while where I work, and the net result was
massive collateral damage, with very little additional spam being
stopped that wasn't already caught by the blacklists I use.  While
it's arguable whether or not one should have to accept mail from a
domain with a broken nameservice, I think you'll find that A) DNS
isn't anywhere near as reliable as some people seem to think it is,
and B) there's an awful large chunk of the net with broken
nameservice, especially outside of .us/.uk.

    It's caused by having a host_reject_recipients entry that isn't a
straight IP address.  Adding +warn_unknown to the beginning of the
list will have it mark an entry in your logfiles instead of flatly
rejecting the mails.

--
Zed Pobre <zed@debian.org> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <zed@resonant.org>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.