Re: The right way to not start daemons

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:18:31PM +0100, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> >
> > You can, yes. But IMO the idea is to be able to:
> >
> > * quickly(!) turn on/off a certain service
> update-rc.d

too complicated.

> > It's not a question of not-available mechanisms - they've been around
> > for at least 4 years now. It's only that debian hasn't adapted any.
>
> such as? ntsysv? something else?

http://freshmeat.net/projects/jinit/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/perl_init/

mind you these are only the ones I found through fm

> what did you have in mind?

At my first Linux Kongress there was a guy who wanted to do that and did
it about half a year later. That was around 95 I think.

> and can you package it?

Nope sorry.
*t

             Tomas Pospisek