Re: The right way to not start daemons

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Michael Karcher wrote:

> > Then "update-rc.d <basename> disable" would rename the original init.d
> > script to <basename>.disabled and create a symlink from
> > /etc/init.d/disabled to /etc/init.d/basename.
> >
> > When installing new init.d scripts dpkg would replace <basename>.disabled
> > instead of <basename> if <basename> is a symlink to /etc/init.d/disabled.
> Why not use the diversion system? Have the package "sysvinit" contain
> /etc/init.d/basename and own the diversions from /etc/init.d/foo to
> /etc/init.d/foo.disabled and then create the symlink. This would avoid
> modifying dpkg.

... at the cost of having to modify every package that has an init.d
script. A major advantage of my approach is, that it works  without
modification of existing packages except one.

It works even with a vanilla dpkg if you mv the init script and create the
symlink by hand -- I use it occasionally. But package upgrades would be
more comfortable if dpkg knew about it.