Re: Default MTA and dependencies

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2001 14:16, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> Well, if mailq doesn't show them, that means they're gone, right? If you
>> want to allow non-root users to view the queue, put that in the config
>> file. How does sendmail or postfix make this situation better?
>>

> So, there is such an option to make every mortal capable of running
> mailq. I wasn't aware of that.

less /usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz
/mailq
yields one hit:
| If Exim is called under the name "mailq", it behaves as if the option
| -bp were present [...]
Lets search for -bp, first hit:
| Similarly, the use of the -bp option to list all the messages in the
| queue is restricted to admin users unless "queue_list_requires_admin" is
| set false.
Difficult?

> However, that doesn't solve any problem. I usually can't tell what really
> happened to my messages unless I check the exim log manually. For every
> important message I send I view the log and check for "Completed".

> Isn't that stone age? I'd better write my own MTA. It would be hard
> to call exim reliable.

Do it. There are reasons why exim does not support dsn, see exim ML
archives.

> And IMHO, exim has a very counter-intuitive structure and documentation.

In comparison to what? sendmail, qmail?

> In my case, exim fails to complete SMTP auth from time to time and for other
> reasons fails to send a message. It will then freeze that message forever to
> achieve absolute frustration.

/usr/share/doc/exim/spec.txt.gz search for freeze, frozen and thaw.
               cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Echelon: sex violence tower XXX Boom human rights Islam Kate Winslet