Re: The right way to not start daemons

Craig Small <csmall@eye-net.com.au> wrote:
> OK, we've all probably seen the thread elsewhere about daemons that
> should not be started, this email stemsfrom that but is not not about
> it.

> I've had a request in for LPRng (I'm the Debian maintainer) to have a
> feature where lpd can be told not to start.  I was going to put this in
> the next version but there is a problem; which is the best way to do it.

Imho it would be the most consistent way, to tell the users to disable
starting by removing the startlinks in /etc/rc.runlevel (or editing
/etc/runlevel.conf or with update-rc.d) and use

invoke-rc.d /etc/init.d/lprng start
instead of
/etc/init.d/lprng start

in the postinst-Skript. Or is invoke-rc.d yet only provided by file-rc?
              cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Echelon: sex violence tower XXX Boom human rights Islam Kate Winslet