Re: Spaces in filenames [was: Has a Debian developer ever unintentionally wiped out user files like Apple?]

Sebastian Rittau writes:

 > Even though my "example" is nonsence the point is valid; why should I
 > cripple filenames like "War of the Worlds", "Déjà Vu", or "Light My
 > Fire"?

Because they will break. They should not, but they do. Computer
systems are still very ASCII-centric - look how I misspell my
surname. The 'a' characters are not really 'a' characters but 'ä'
characters. Many people reading this list won't see that
correctly. Another good example is how find and xargs handle spaces in
file names.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how things should be but how they are.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w --  Ari Makela <hauva@arska.org> http://arska.org/hauva/ #

# Finger hauva@laphroaig.arska.org for GPG public key.
# "Sailing is, after all, a kind of grace, a kind of magic." - Phil Berman