Re: KDE directory layout

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:27:35PM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> On Monday 05 November 2001 21:16, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> >
> > and it's also in constant flux.  Nothing it set in stone until beta1
> > especially libraries which is something that coders are supposed to
> > understand.
> >

> Yes, but if it's only the dir layout that causes problems, what do you think?

it's more than that.  let me try to explain this.

It would work if we had a different prefix for each installation...ie

*everything* was dumped under /opt/kde2 or /usr/local/kde2 for kde2
*everything* was dumped under /opt/kde3 or /usr/local/kde3 for kde3

that would work great as nothing would conflict however out of the box this
would not work and also would break fhs..etc...

to follow fhs,deb policy,etc... we dump things in their proper locations
using a prefix of /usr so we end up with:

  /usr/bin             -binaries-
  /usr/lib             -libraries-
  /usr/lib/kde2        -modules-
  /usr/share/apps      -app specific dirs-
  /usr/share/applnk    -.desktop menu/info files-
  /etc/kde2            -conf dir-

there are some other dirs but those are the important ones... for kde3 we
end up with

  /usr/bin
  /usr/lib
  /usr/lib/kde3
  /usr/share/apps
  /usr/share/applnk
  /etc/kde3

however with this we'll have conflicts for binaries, app specific stuff and
desktop menu/info files.  To solve this you would think all we would need
to do is change kde3's dir's to look like this:

  /usr/bin  (let's leave the bin stuff out of this for now)
  /usr/lib  (there should be no conflictions except for .so files)
  /usr/lib/kde3
  /usr/share/kde3/apps
  /usr/share/kde3/applnk
  /etc/kde3

looks good right?  well it doesn't work.  kstddirs has this nasty habit of
still looking in $(prefix)/share/apps and $(prefix)/share/applnk (etc...)
for things even tho you tell it otherwise.

at least this is the way it has been for a long time and upstream hasn't
felt like fixing it since they don't have to conform to FHS or have to deal
with building for a distribution like Debian.

Now..as I've said over and over and over again, I have yet to spend the time
necessary to get things straight with kde3 and have asked you to back off and
wait for me to finish.

> > most likely the libmpeg stuff.  I never got around to fine tuning the
> > multimedia package and report upstream... and packages like kdemultimedia
> > are looked at by coders for conflictions later on.
>
> How can I fix it? Everything is in KDE CVS?

ummm...get a KDE CVS account maybe?

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II