Re: Mailman pre-depend

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 04:23:54PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> In order to ensure that the list user exists in the system password
> tables, I need to check that, using the functions in libnss, so
> grepping /etc/{passwd,group} doesn't work.

> So, I use the following:

> if ! python -c 'import grp; print pwd.getgrnam("list")' > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then

> for checking that the group exists.  I have a similar line for
> checking that the list user exists.  (I am not really sure why those
> are in the preinst instead of the postinst, but I guess they are for
> historical reasons and it has a function).

> This is well, but I need to have it discussed on -devel, according to
> policy, before I add that Pre-Depend.  So, unless anybody tells me
> that it is wrong and I should do it in some other way, I will add that
> Pre-Depend.

More straightforward than using python is to use the 'getent' command,
provided by libc6.

$ getent group list
list:x:38:
$

libc6 is not an essential package (and the package name is different on
different architectures), but it's a pre-dependency of other essential
packages, which should be close enough.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer