Re: libexpat in testing

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:03:41AM +1100, Jason Thomas wrote:
> unfortunately the changes to libexpat1 although accidental made the
> package correct!  so libexpat1 is not broken (now), the other packages
> are!

Uh, no.

You can't randomly change the soname of a library without also changing
the package's name. If libexpat1 provides libexpat.so.0, and you want
to provide libexpat.so.1, you _must_ rename the package.

Right now, afaict, someone should be uploading libexpat1 with a symlink
from libexpat.so.0 to libexpat.so.1 with the urgency in the changelog
set to high to make everything unbroken again.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt