svgalib, mouse and I/O permissions

The atari800.svga executable needs access to the mouse, but the svgalib
interface can't gain access to the mouse for the user. It works fine when
run by root, but even when /dev/mouse and /dev/gpmdata are both chown'd to
root:tty and I add myself to group tty:

dwarf:/dev# ls -l mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     tty             7 Sep  3 18:00 mouse -> gpmdata
dwarf:/dev# ls -l gpmdata
prw-r--r--    1 root     tty             9 Oct 27 13:33 gpmdata
dwarf:/dev#
dwarf@dwarf:~$ ./atari800.svgalib
Configuration Created by Atari 800 Emulator, Version 1.0.7
/dev/mouse: Permission denied

dwarf:/dev# chmod g+w mouse gpmdata
dwarf:/dev# ls -l mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     tty             7 Sep  3 18:00 mouse -> gpmdata
dwarf:/dev# ls -l gpmdata
prw-rw-r--    1 root     tty             9 Oct 27 13:33 gpmdata
dwarf:/dev#
dwarf@dwarf:~$ ./atari800.svgalib
Configuration Created by Atari 800 Emulator, Version 1.0.7
cannot open joystick /dev/js0: No such file or directory
joystick disabled
svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

This seems to imply that the I fixed the mouse permissions, but still have
a permission problem.

The joystick errors occur when I run as root, so I don't think that is the
cause.

I noticed that the console device is only read/write for root, but adding
permissions for group doesn't resolve the I/O permissions error.

I don't have these problems when I run zgv as a user, so the atari800 code
must not be doing this right.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-