Keeping packages in sync (over multiple workstations)

Hello,

We aim at giving a identical workstation to all our users, eg the same
packages and the same configuration on all the workstations. But as time
goes people tend to install `temporarily` packages (to compile mozilla
for instance) so our workstations have become out of sync.

I tried to sync them with dpkg --get-selections on one system, and the
output to dpkg --set-selections on another followed by apt-get
dselect-upgrade. This got the systems nearer together, but it didn't
deinstall the surplus packages on the second system.

Could someone give me a hint to how I should get the machines in sync?

Thanx

Sylvain