Re: RFC: upstream-link in the BTS and package descriptions

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Colin Watson wrote:

> Once upon a time there was a proposal for a parseable copyright file,
> but nothing was ever agreed.
May be we should awake this discussion.  However the copyright file is
also only parseable if the package is installed and so it helps less to
solve my problem.

> You NMU packages without installing both the old and new versions?
Huh, in fact no.  May be I was a little bit short in my mail.  I used
to have a look upstream to decide whether I should spend some effort in
a package or not.  If I see that the project is more or less dead than
I see no reason to deal with programs I never needed before (if I would
have needed it I would have it installed).

Moreover I in the process of pging some microbiology related programs.
You know that Günther Blechly has left Debian and a grep in the
wnpp packages to the term "Biology" results in a lot of packages all
orphaned 138 ago.  The first thing I check if I consider to adopt is
upstream URL and it would be nice if I could have the upstream URL
of each programm which is included in Debian from my harddisk regardingless
it is installed or not.

Kind regards

         Andreas.