Re: Propossed Project: Odyssey

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:34:02AM +0200, Wilmer van der Gaast wrote:
> The fact that Linux is more difficult to maintain might just be a bit of
> a good thing for schools. On schools the pupils seem to like to mess up
> everything they can, and now they can't do that anymore... And cfengine
> is said to be a good program for the sysop to configure lots of systems
> at once.

Hmm, I fail to see the logic here...

When I was in school (about 5 years ago) the admins were nowhere
near as knowlegable about computers as the students...  None of
the admins had ever heard of Linux, but I knew of a few students
who've been using it as long as I have (Slackware w/kernel 1.0.8
back in early 90's, this was high school mind you, not college).
The admins didn't even know as much about Novell as the students
did, let alone Windoze, Macintrash, or *nix.  I will grant you
though that they knew more than *most* students, but quite a few
hacker types (I mean the old definition hackers, not crackers or
script kiddies, but kids with great ingenuity who could get
computers to do things they were never origionally intended for)
were there also.  Some started programming in Junior High, or
grade school, and were pretty good with C++ by high school.

Linux won't make anything more secure without first training the
admins about security.  But anybody wanting to setup there own
services (ie. Code Green?) will be able to do so easily with a
poorly administered Linux server.  There will allways be a bunch
of students who keep up with vulnerabilities and can find there
own, and I haven't met a single school admin with the dilligence
required to secure a network (but many students I have met with
the dilligence required to circumvent all protections and play
networked games of Quake while supposed to be doing homework --
oh what fun we used to have ;)

  -Me