Re: Unstable X can't find font "fixed" dies immediately.

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 06:31:37PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 10:56:17PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > Subject says it all really.  Just upgraded to latest X in sid.
> > All packages present, including xfs but fonts cant be found
> > so X dies immediately. Any advice welcome!
>
> I'm getting some reports of this, but it's not affecting everyone.
>
> I think perhaps one of the other font package maintainers screwed
> something up.
>
> Please mail this list with the output of:
>
> COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep -i font

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
[eric@mrmime:~]$ COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l | grep -i font
ii  console-data                    1999.08.29-11.2                 Keymaps, fonts, charset maps, fallback tables for console-tools
ii  console-tools                   0.2.3-10.3                      Linux console and font utilities.
ii  console-tools-libs              0.2.3-10.3                      Shared libraries for Linux console and font manipulation.
ii  defoma                          0.4.12                          Debian Font Manager -- automatic font configuration framework.
ii  gsfonts                         6.0-2                           Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gsfonts-x11                     0.13                            Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11.
ii  libfreetype6                    2.0.2.20010514-1                FreeType 2 font engine, shared library files.
ii  libttf2                         1.4pre.20010424-1               FreeType 1, The FREE TrueType Font Engine, shared library files.
ii  msttcorefonts                   0.9.7                           Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
ii  t1lib1                          1.2-1                           Type 1 font rasterizer library - runtime
ii  vflib2                          2.25.1-12.2                     Vector Font Library for Japanese Character Code.
ii  xfonts-100dpi                   4.1.0-7                         100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-100dpi-transcoded        4.1.0-7                         100 dpi fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 10646-1)
rc  xfonts-base                     4.1.0-7                         standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base-transcoded          4.1.0-7                         standard fonts for X (transcoded from ISO 10646-1)
ii  xfonts-scalable-nonfree         4.0.3-2                         non-free Type1 fonts from XFree86
ii  xfstt                           1.2                             TrueType Font Server for X11
[eric@mrmime:~]$

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT     "Oh My God! They killed init! You Bastards!"
			--from a /. post