Subject: Re: [reiserfs-list] Reiserfs-Fix in 2.4.12-ac2
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:13:46 +0200
From: Jens Benecke <jens@jensbenecke.de>
To: Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>

> LILO boot sector bug?

Well, if you run 2.4.10 and your first partition contains the /boot stuff,
and you run LILO, LILO's kernel position information will be overwritten
with file system data the next time you write to that partition (i.e.
_during_ LILOs run because it updates /boot/map).

The fix is to move /boot, mount / read-only, run LILO, then reboot (with /
still read-only). This only affects ext2 systems (wish I had updated to
ReiserFS when I had the machine here).