Re: X is now broken, unbreak?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:48:15PM -0700, Ralph Jennings wrote:

> OK, I understand not resending bug reports that have already been
> filed, but...

Yes, but you can certainly add to them, if there's need.  How else do you
think the commentary you see in the BTS occurs?

> This is a bug in a file in a debian package, why is this bug not
> fixed?  It's a very simple fix, to a very serious bug...

Well, the first part of that is right.  It's a simple bug.  An
*exceedingly* simple one.  One that's been discussed to death.  One that,
in fact, has already been fixed.  As for it being a "very serious bug"...
feh.  The error message you get leads you right to it.

So, why didn't YOU know about it before you upgraded?  Gods know Branden's
been villified enough about it in the last couple of days.

> I didn't
> file a bug report since one was already there, but I seriously did
> consider filing one anyway to fix the incorrect seriousness of the
> report in the debian bug tracker database.

You don't file new ones, you upgrade or downgrade them as appropriate.

> This is a serious bug,
> that kills pretty much everyones X setup, and makes GNOME, KDE2,
> etc., etc. die with a message that makes it look like a program
> that does exist, doesn't (kinda looks like file system corruption
> to the untrained eye).

It's a simple bug.  Easy to fix.  Kills only certain X setups, and
certainly doesn't stop you from launching X if you need to.  Doesn't damage
the box, doesn't make the box unusable, doesn't cause loss of data, doesn't
compromise other packages on the box, and doesn't create a security risk on
the box.

All of those things make it a "Priority: Normal" bug at worst, and an
annoyance at best.

> Why is this bug not fixed yet?

It has been:

xfree86 (4.1.0-8) unstable; urgency=medium

  * the "Bert is Evil" release
  * debian/local/Xsession.d/99xfree86-common_start: don't quote $REALSTARTUP
    (Closes: #113878)

 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:43:38 -0500

And wow, look at that date.  Four days ago it was fixed in unstable.  And
when the appropriate time has elapsed, assuming no one files any silly bugs
against it, it'll be fixed in testing, too.

Meanwhile, the people in using testing, who should have enough on the ball
to be able to edit a file (otherwise why are they using testing?) will have
fixed it themselves and gone on to get their work done.

Welcome to the world of using something other than the *stable*
distribution.

--
Marc Wilson
mwilson@moonkingdom.net