Re: I want to install these games online

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 05:32:43PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> > > Hm. This is probably because it was orphaned and never claimed, or such.
> > > Pitty, since it's GPL and a great game... If nobody objects, I'll
> > > probably adopt it.
> >
> > Isn't it that only a _part_ of Quake is free ?
>
> Yes and no. The software is GPL; however, the data is non-free.
> id1/pak0.pak is shareware, while id1/pak1.pak is only found in the
> retailversion of Quake. Therefore, quake was indeed in contrib, and
> pak0.pak was in non-free. There was also a quake-lib-stub in main which
> allowed one to use the files from the retailversion of quake.

There are free data files though: search for openquartz. I think the
project is quiescent, but I think they got something working which
debian could distribute.

> > In that case, there might be
> > problem for including in Debian a package depending on things that aren't
> > allowed to enter the distro.
>
> Not really. I mailed with Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> who was the
> maintainer of the Quake-packages. Apparantly, the reason quake was removed
> from the archive is that upstream has made a mess of it. Old versions are
> buggy and are not being worked on anymore, recent versions are more or
> less incompatible with the original Quake and QuakeWorld binaries as
> distributed by ID Software. Not too sure whether I want to jump in this
> mess anymore; I'll think about it, and if I decide to go for it, I'll
> upload some packages some day -- or first post an ITA or something. We'll
> see.

Just FYI, Joseph is not an outside observer; he was heavily involved
in the project, and was (quite understandably) upset at the way it
went.  Someone else might tell a different story about the events. I
would expect that something packagable is salvageable.

Jules