RE: Python version

>     Seems pygtk and some Python depends application
> can working fine with python2.1, and this version
> is going to stable, and backward compatiabiliy.
>
>     IMHO, upgrade python2 to python2.1, and remove
> the python2.1, this may cause lesser problems and
> can solve more problems due to more python appz if
> exist in the system.
>

> ps.
> Or some reason of three version must exist same
> time that I missed ? Please forgive me if I really
> did wrong. Thank you.

All three python versions may be compatible at the python language level, i.e a
script will work under all three.  However any compiled libraries or uses of
python as an embedded interpreter (xchat) require a specific version of python.
 In this case the gtk library was compiled against 1.5 and xchat against 2.0.
Which is why there are three versions.  Not all compiled software has been
updated to work with the newer pythons and not all newer software works with
the older pythons.

The same is true with some python script code.  Python 1.5.2 will around for
some time because there are small (real small) places where it fails under
newer versions.

Compound this with the fact that until recently python 2.x was not GPL
compatible for any GPL code was forced to remain at 1.5.2.

My guess is we will have a 1.5 and a 2.x package for some time and for perios
of time more than these two.