XF 4.1-{7,8} in woody, sid

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with Xfree in woody/sid?
My situation:

Had Xfree 4.02 running just fine, since the pre-17 days, with three
videocards/monitors (yes, on the same machine).  I dist-upgraded to sid
a few weeks back, and it broke Xfree somehow, I suspected xlibs at the time
for some reason.  So i removed those packages and went back to X in woody.
Well now woody has Xf 4.1, and the problem isn't gone :)  When I run
startx i just get a (3) black screen(s).  It freezes the system and I
have no recourse but to reboot.

So, when I did my last dist-upgrade in woody, I of course got Xf 4.1-7 with it.
First I tried compiling it myself in /usr/local, but haven't met with any
real success on that front -- it didn't compile all the modules, libpcidata,etc.
So, I dist-upgraded to sid just for kicks to see if it was fixed in -8.  It's
not (:. Please clue me in on the discussion thus far, if there's been any.

I'd inculde an Xfree86.log but when it isn't leaving one.  The only one I have
is from the 4.1 I built, and it just complains about the libs that didn't
compile.

Thanks,

Nate Smith