Re: default environment for scripts?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Tomas Pospisek wrote:

> * Is there a standard way to define a default environment for /etc/init.d
>   scripts? Is there any reason not to have a possibility to set such a
>   default environment? If there isn't wouldn't it be a good idea to be
>   able to define such an default environment in a standarized way?

Maybe not. Policy says: "No program may depend on environment
variables to get reasonable defaults". I think this policy is good
even if there was a "standard way" to define environment variables.
(I remember the ms-dog days, when autoexec.bat became full of environment
variables of all kinds...)

I assume you can define whatever environment variables you really need
inside the init.d scripts that really need them, since they are
usually conffiles.