Re: autoconf/configure information sources?

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Jason Lunz wrote:

> dwarf@polaris.net said:
> > As you probably know, I hate info pages, but the set on autoconf look
> > like they are organized so that I can find what I need.
>
> info pages are a lot nicer if you "apt-get install pinfo".

Well, a "pretty" info browser can't put information content into the page,
or expand subtle references into meaningful information.

In a manpage, there are predefined sections that are expected to be
present and expected to contain specific information. While there are some
"guidelines" to the structure of an info page, there is not consitancy in
practice to information layout, or even the amount of detail provided.

These deficits are far more impactive on my ability to use info than the
interface to navigating the information that _is_ provided. While pinfo
_is_ a "prettier" interface, it can do nothing to improve the information
content, or presentation organization that tends to drive me up the
wall...

Thanks for the pointer,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-