RE: autoconf/configure information sources?

OK, I've looked at the info pages, and I'm less satisfied than I expected.

Maybe I should be asking specifics...

The problem is that configure.in uses the ASK_FEATURE macro (a lot) and I
can find no information on this macro in the info file.

It seems that I might use --enable-<FEATURE> for a couple of these, but
there are many more than 10, and some of them are within if checks that
may or may not present the question depending upon which type of
executable I'm trying to build.

What I'd like is an option to configure that says "use the default answers
in ASK_FEATURE" and then just set up a reasonable set of defaults in
configure.in, but I don't see any way to force such actions.

Is there a different macro from ASK_FEATURE that could be used to set
these parameters?

I get the impression that configure.status and configure.guess can be used
to manage such things, but I can't find any specifics on either of these
files, asside from some cryptic references in the info pages.

Is there some way to suppress the questions in an ASK_FEATURE macro?

Do I have a prayer of fixing this in any sane way?

Why are we here? (Sorry, I was on a roll ;-)

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "Dwarf's Guide to Debian GNU/Linux"  _-_-_-_-_-_-