Re: X in Woody: you gotta be fscking kidding!

* martin f krafft (madduck@madduck.net) spake thusly:
> * Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu> [2001.10.17 19:26:37-0500]:
> > Hi boys and girls,
> > anyone can tell me what the fuck is that dexconf crap and how do I
> > get rid of it? I mean, really, which genius came up with the idea
> > that I need to regenerate a perfectly working config file every time
> > I update $PACKAGE?
>
> i think you messed up debconf. try
>   dpkg-reconfigured debconf

dpkg-reconfigured: command not found. Neither is dpkg-reconfigure.
Any other suggestions?

IIRC debconf configuration asks you about priority of the messages
you wish to see, and whether to repeat old questions over and over
again. I don't remember seeing anything about disabling dexconf in
there.

Anyway, I'll just chmod/chattr the file to buggery, let's see if
that POS manages to overwrite that. That's the kind of thing I'd
do in windoze... congratulations, Debian!

> > Jeesus F. Christ... it could at least ask me if I *really* want to
> > overwrite XF86Config-4...
>
> it does!

And I'm pretty sure I said "no".

> now please watch your language a little, cause some people consider
> things ...
> offensive.

They are welcome to killfile me. I chose the language that adequately
conveyed my emotional state after I found out I lost my XF86Config-4,
thanks to dexconf's half-assed attempt to be luser-friendly.

As far as I'm concerned there's only one reason to auto-reconfigure X:
we're installing new version that comes with incompatible config file
(there's also hardware upgrade, but that's not "auto-"). IIRC dexconf
kicks in *every* time whatever-package is updated.

Besides, the fscking thing isn't even smart enough to realise that if
xfs-tt is installed and plain xfs is not, it should not add a fontpath
to port 7100 -- among the other things.

And IME X v.4 is very easy to configure, it's not like you need to
calculate modelines on a piece of paper anymore. Plus, X folks are
working on a proper config software AFAIK.

So, we have a Piece Of Software, called dexconf, that
a) is not needed,
b) does not work, and
c) cannot be turned off,
all because we want lusers to be happy (according to dexconf(8)).
Sheesh, if I wanted a luser-friendy distro I could install deadrat
or something...

Dima
--
Surely there is a polite way to say FOAD.                        -- Shmuel Metz
"Go forth and multiply".                                         -- Paul Martin