Re: XFree86 news; users of TESTING or UNSTABLE, PLEASE READ

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 11:25:10AM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > doc/xbase-clients/examples/Xmodmap, and the Xsession manual page describes how
> > to write a replacement for /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40xfree86-common_xmodmap.  Of
> > course, if you're upgrading, you can just move the -old versions of these files
> > back into place.  Be sure to give them different names, or change their contents
> > (say, by adding a comment), so that they aren't moved again on the next upgrade
> > of XFree86.
>
> Why give these different names?  dpkg passes the previous version to
> maintainer scripts, so you can check what is being upgraded from.

Because they're *deprecated*.  I don't want to just stop shipping them,
I want to get the existing ones *OUT* of the way when they're not being
used, hence the check.

Keep in mind, the stock Xmodmap file contains nothing but comments, so
running xmodmap at all is a no-op in the system case.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     complicated way only to be able to