Re: woody is getting worse...

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:42:42AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> If you don't want to spend your mornings like this, run stable.

Branden, I think most people participating in this discussion agree
that a package with a bug that makes the package stop working should
not get into testing.

It doesn't matter that the bug is easy to fix because before you can
fix the bug you have to know what is wrong. And finding out what is
wrong takes some time.

Of course, if somebody is running woody, he implicitly agrees that
he is willing to spend some time finding bugs. That's why testing
is called testing. But at the same time, everybody is frustrated if
he spent 20 minutes to find a bug, only to learn that the bug has
already been found and fixed by serveral other people. This is just
a waste of time.

And this is the real point of this discussion: A lot of time has been
wasted by serveral people, and only because a known bug was not marked
as RC.

As bugs happen, and nobody gets blamed for not doing his job well,
there's no need to argue about this single bug any longer.

What we should agree on for the future is if such bugs should be RC or not.
I think they should be RC, and if I understood the other mails right,
most people participating in this discussion do so.

Jan