Re: Debian conference 2 / LSM 2002

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:38, Jaime E . Villate wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:02:54AM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I suggest that it not be in the US until the war on terrorism is over.
> >
> > I am not going to attend a conference in a war zone, and I expect that
> > many other people have the same opinion...
>
> Oh please! don't kill another interesting thread with your anti-American
> feelings. If you want to lobby for a particular location, then why don't
> you suggest a place and an organizer and then when we have a list of
> possibilities we start asking how many developers would go to each one.

How was that an "anti-American" message?

The US IS at war as many US government officials tell us in every news-paper
and TV news show.

Wars by definition result in large numbers of people dieing, and usually
involve death and injury to non-combattants, for that reason I choose to
avoid visiting war zones.

If other people want to have a conference in a war zone then they can freely
do so, but I won't join in.

Given the number of people who can't travel long distances I think it would
make sense to have regional conferences anyway.  One conference in the
Australiasian region, one in Europe (don't forget there are some nice places
in Eastern Europe), and one in the US.