Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> > > 	Won't work. You need to include the port number there if it's
> > > 	not 80.
> >
> > Bugger. Does anyone actually *use* port-based virtual hosting?
>
> Yes, for example for testing purposes.

I use it at work, too.  We host a number of SSL-capable
sites, most of which need to present a certificate which
matches their name.

Our webservers are behind a Cisco LocalDirector for load-
balancing, and we give that a public IP per SSL-capable
vhost.  But because that would start to cramp our /24, we
have the LocalDirector map the SSL ports for these IPs to
443 _and upwards_, so we don't have to assign an extra IP
per vhost for each of the webservers.

It's a little clumsy, and if you get careless Apache will
redirect to http://site.name:447/ and the like.  But it
works.

Matthew.