Re: [RFC] Hits/directions to using autoconf and friends in Debian

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > (GNU makefile snippet):
> > export DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE  ?= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)
> > export DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE ?= $(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)
[...]
> If this is the recommended way to call ./configure, should it any longer
> be recommended to import updated config.guess scripts from autotools-dev?

Well, I do update both in my packages simply because it reduces the
probability of bad surprises in the long run. The compressed diff increase
is not that big, most of the time.

> One still needs config.sub, but playing with config.guess just gives you
> larger diffs.  I think it would be good to state this in the readme.

I have reworked the README and added a paragraph to that effect.

> Also, to canonicalize the host and build values, the above should be
> 	./configure --build=$(DEB_BUILD_GNU_TYPE)-gnu --host=$(DEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE)-gnu \
> 	....... (other configure options) ......

No. For i386, for example, the correct GNU arch string is i386-pc-linux-gnu;
Tacking -gnu to the tail of "i386-linux" as returned by dpkg-architecture is
not needed, as config.sub will expand that to the proper i386-pc-linux-gnu
or i386-unknown-linux-gnu anyway...

> since the -gnu isn't part of the value that dpkg-architecture returns.

I am not sure if this isn't actually a bug in dpkg-architecture. If it is
supposed to return the GNU architecture string, it might as well return the
proper canonical one.  Just in case it gets fixed in the future, I'll leave
to configure/config.sub to find out the proper canonical name for the arch
as returned by dpkg-architecture.

  Henrique Holschuh