Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 02:21:40PM +0100, Nick Phillips wrote:
> /var is for "things that change". CGI scripts fit that description. So,
> they should be in both /usr and /var...
>
> CGI scripts *will* be changing, and not always under the control of the
> admin. In fact, having /usr mounted ro would likely make such a situation
> much more secure.

There is no point in editing Debian-provided CGI programs; your
changes will be lost when the package is upgraded. Unless of course
the file is a conffile, in which case it should be in /etc
instead.

Of course as an end user I have CGI scripts in /var. However,
the FHS quite rightly does not allow the vendor (Debian) to
ship executable programs in /var.

Hamish