Re: apache2: clearing the air [please read]

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:39:12PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> > 	What about the concept of working with the already establish'd
> > directory system and just making it vhost aware?
> >
> > 	* /var/www/the.host.name/ - document root for that host
> > 	* /usr/lib/cgi-bin/the.host.name - CGI scripts for that host
> > 	* /var/log/apache/the.host.name - logs for that host
> >
> > 	This works with the current system and should not cause
> > problems while attempting to maintain FHS and policy guidelines.

It's actually not possible to have a virtual hosting system inside /var/www
that properly works "with the current system" - you end up putting all
sorts of sh*t inside the current system's webroot.

In my ideal world, there would be /var/www/host.domain directories for each
virtual host, plus a /var/www/default that gets used as the default host
(all sorts of possible ways for it to be accessed, depending on how the config
is arranged).

Each of these directories would have a directory for static documents (call
it htdocs, call it www, call it whatever you like), and optionally a cgi-bin
directory, php directory (for php include files to be stored outside of
document tree) and any others necessary for any other types of add-on system.
Logs could go in there too, if necessary.

That way, people whose only access to a machine can have their home directory
set to /var/www/my.website, and use vsftpd or something that will chroot
them into that directory.

At the moment I use /var/virtwww because of the fact that this system won't
sit in /var/www happily.

Anyway, there are a few variables.

Maybe we should have a vhost-base package which just defines how we want
it done, and any other package that wants to create vhosts reads in the
config from that base package and sets itself up accordingly?

Or maybe that's over-ambitious?

;)

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
You have been selected for a secret mission.