Re: ddtp: new notifications mails, opt-in or opt-out?

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 09:20:27AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jochen> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 02:53:17PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman
>     Jochen> wrote:
>     >> Browse the archives and count the number of people who were in
>     >> favour of opt-in or no messages at all and compare that with
>     >> the other people people who were in favour of opt-in.
>
>     Jochen> I did not perceive this as a "consensus".  What numbers
>     Jochen> did you get?
>
> If you're counting numbers and talking about a consensus you are doing
> something wrong.  A consensus for opt-out would mean there were no
> significant objections, or in some contexts no credible objections.  I
> cannot help you if you believe that people didn't yell loud enough
> that to count as a significant objection (and note that one or two
> people who really disagree with something can count as a significant
> objection for consensus based processes).  I believe the bulk
> unsolicited mail argument is a credible objection; a reasonable
> definition of bulk unsolicited mail has been presented on debian-vote
> and an argument that opt-out mails fall under this definition has also
> been presented.

This is a very nice and argumented message, but it is senseless, Jochen
never told there was a consensus in favor of opt-out.

Could you please now do the same with the one we are talking about,
i.e. Wichert's assertion that there was a consensus in favor of opt-in?

Denis